Thursday 19 January 2012

From Affection to Affliction: The Case of a Wannabe Cigarette Smoker


Fact no. One: I am not a smoker nor am I fan of smoking.
Fact no. Two: It’s got nothing to do with morality issues.

There was once a time when I really wanted to try smoking – just for the heck of it. And while I wasn’t consciously obsessed with the idea, unconscious obsession was a different thing altogether. Everyone was doing it around me so I thought, why not add myself to that ever-growing list and brag about it, if given a chance.

After having settled the fact that I wanted to explore the avenues of smoking; the next hurdle that stood before me was – how to go on about it? For a girl who was brought up strictly on religious values and orthodoxy, it was unconceivable even to think about going to a local kiosk and asking for a cigarette. Also, I had no idea about the best brand that existed though I was fairly cognizant with the name of the brands per se, which made it even more difficult to march up to a store and ask for a cigarette.

Luck by chance – note that this is purely an Indian terminology – I happened to go for an outing to a beach with my college colleagues and there it appeared the perfect solution; people were smoking and I had no qualms about asking one guy – don’t remember his name – his cigarette. Holding it in my hand, the way I had seen scores of people at public places do, gave me a semblance of power. Inhaling a puff felt like taking a whiff of something different; air with a flavour and texture unique to its own. And a single puff was what I had permitted my self-control. Handing back the cigarette to the guy, my fingers felt bereft and for a moment, I even contemplated going for seconds. But, conscience and guilt had intervened and for the rest of the picnic, I felt like I was Eve who had tasted the forbidden fruit.

This innate sense of crippling guilt made me confess to my best friend. And looking at her stony face – which grew stonier and stonier, as the cliché goes – the sense of guilt gutted my insides even further. And when I decided to reply, I was half-afraid that she would decide to cut all ties with me there and then. Fortunately, she didn’t do that and unfortunately (or fortunately, if I were to look at things today) she told me to choose – between her and the offending object. I chose and there came down the curtains to my potential addiction with nicotine rolled in a piece of paper.

 I haven’t smoked after that episode. And now have come to a point where I can’t even stand beside a person smoking – the fumes irritate my throat and send me into a fit of hacking coughs. Looking at this sudden transformation to acute intolerability, I wonder where what changed and how. Did my sub-conscious start to play tricks on me or did I recess into a prude of my own unknown volition?

No comments:

Border-Gavaskar Trophy: Rekindling past glories, India's winning road takes a new turn

  A popular refrain throughout the recently wrapped-up Test series between Australia and India was that the matches were a throwback to the ...